Are you interested in more than ‘just drawing’?
Would you like your sketches to come alive to capture the stories you see on location?
During the weekend of September 9 and 10, USK instructor Oliver Hoeller is sharing his best kept secrets about visual storystelling and sketching. This in the magnificent city of Oslo.
Now is your chance to learn from Oliver, who also happens to be winner of the 2022 International Travel Sketchbook award. Secure your spot todag and register here. Spots are filling up quickly.
About the workshop:
Time: 09.30 – 17.00 Sat and Sunday + meetup on Friday evening for a drink&draw and get together!
Language: This workshop will be held in English
Level: Suitable for eager beginners and up
Location meetup: central Oslo; exact location TBD, participants will be notified by email
Oliver teaches a mix of fundamentals as well as his personal approaches and ways of thinking to make a rich account of a place.
Find out what you can expect about this workshop below image.
What can you expect of the “Urban Safari”?
The workshop consists of 4 learning modules (12+ hours of instruction)
- FOUNDATIONS: interesting silhouettes, line, space, value, watercolor
- STORY: designing the page, storytelling, zoom levels, cohesion and variety
- EXPRESSIVE PEOPLE: tips and tricks to improve your figures
- SYNTHESIS: combine it all in your way!
This workshop comes with about 60 (!) pages of handouts for future reference.
Join this fascinating workshop and learn how to bring the story to your sketches. Register here.
To give you a taste of his teaching methods and style, Oliver wanted to share with you a hand out of his workshop at the USK Symposium in Auckland, for free. Find out what you can expect. Convinced? Register for the Oslo workshop here.
Read about the learning goals below image.
- identify interesting silhouettes for impact
- explore the use of line
- experience the use of grey marker to add tone quickly
- use color for mood and interest
- learn ways to organize a page
- how to make a rich account out of small observations
- think in different scales
- Increase your understanding of different parts of the figure
- Become comfortable combining parts from disparate figures
- Form an opinion about a figure to tell its story
- Combine a figure with urban ‘props’
- Build a rich spread in your sketchbook
- Deepen the story
Join Oliver in Oslo, register today.
About the instructor
Oliver is an illustrator, international USK workshop instructor and traveling artist from Austria. He has won the 2022 International Travel Sketchbook Award and tends to capture the humorous and ironic in his work.
Find more about him here: